Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Memories- Part 4

Here are a couple short ones for today.

1. Picking out ornaments- Every year Stephanie and I got to pick out our own special ornament for our tree. Most of the time we would go with my dad to find our special ornament, and it was usually a round one. Mom and dad still hang them on their tree and it is fun to go back and look at them year after year. I remember buying my first non round ornament, and it was a Neil Armstrong ornament that talks. It is still really cool. I also found a kit to make a round ornament one year in high school, and wrote on it all the stuff that was going on in my life. We have now started this tradition with Brock and it is so fun. Last year we bought him one and the dog broke it, but then my dad found him a really pretty round baby's first Christmas. And for those of you who know Brock well, he picked out an ornament of a Dog this year. You would not believe how hard it was to find one.

2. Thank God for Kids- I am not sure how this tradition started but it is one that has lasted for me and my dad. When I was younger, I used to love to lay on the couch and watch the news with my dad. I was usually up late because we didn't get out of gymnastics until 9. After the news Dad would carry me up to my bed, until I was way to big to be carried. The Sunday before Christmas our local sports broadcaster plays a video to the song "Thank God for Kids" . Dad and I always watched it growing up. When I was in high school he would call me at my friends houses to remind me to watch it. I am sure I have only missed one or two times in the last 10 or 15 years. Now that I am married and have my baby boy, Dad still calls and reminds me, and Nate, Brock and I watch it together.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That was sweet. I know how much you and Dad loved watching "Thank God for Kids" each year. 5 more sleeps!